Monday, December 11, 2006

Disappointment

All summer, while neighbors might be in the backyards, we had to hold Guinness on a leash or he would run down the stairs to the driveway to greet someone exuberantly (and unwantedly). Now that winter is approaching, no one is outside. And he has been good about staying in our yard even if he sees a squirrel. For the past month, we take him outside with no leash. What a relief that is! However, four times now in the past few days, he has escaped the yard when I am not watching. The first time he did it, I could not find him anywhere! He was no where in sight in the back or in the front, and, he did not respond to, “Come,” “Treats!” his name, or his song. That first time, I was beginning to panic as several minutes went by before I saw movement on a neighbor’s deck. Ugh! We are back to attaching a leash, but, after three more escapes, we (oops! That should be “I” as Grant has not had this problem.) cannot let our eyes stray from him.

This morning, he was begging for a walk. In spite of the drizzle, I was willing to take him around the neighborhood streets where he would have no freedom and not get muddy. We got ourselves ready in the garage, then I suggested that he go potty in our yard first. Well, he went #1 and #2, so I had to clean it up. Yep! When I turned around, he was gone and on a deck that has a Christmas tree two doors down. He absolutely made no response to my calls to him. When I marched up on the deck, he hid under the tree, then tried to run past me. He got a BIG scolding and was sent to his crate for a long timeout. Mommy was mad!

No comments: