Monday, April 21, 2014

Finding a Name

A chocolate lab needs a chocolate name!  Or at least a brown name.  I liked Bailey, but a relative accused me of sounding like an alcoholic after having Guinness as my last dog.  I could not settle on a name, but I had to have one before I picked him up from his foster home, as I had to come with a collar and ID tag before the Rescue would let me take him home.  As I drove to the pet store to buy a collar and have a tag made, I decided on Willy Wonka -- a fun name for a fun dog! 

Once I had the dog home with me, I could not call him that.  He was not a Willy Wonka.  There was nothing Wonky about him.  For the first few days, I found myself calling him "Sweet Pea," "Buster Brown," and even "Guinny," as he looks like Guinness!  Sweet Pea and Buster Brown will be nicknames for him, for sure, as they were for previous dogs.  I couldn't even force the words Willy Wonka out of my mouth!  I decided it was time for some help, so I recruited my Facebook friends on a project of finding the perfect name.   I wrote:  "Oh, dear. . . I am becoming more and more confused on a name for Yukon. That and "Yukie" don't work for me. Willy Wonka doesn't fit. I usually call him "sweet pea" and "Guinny" accidentally, because he looks so much like Guinness. Of the names in my repertoire, Buster Brown comes out of my mouth sometimes. I have considered Mocha, Jamocha, Malt, Chip, Brownie, and others. I have considered Mocha, Jamocha, Malt, Chip, Brownie, and others. I was telling my lawyer about him today, and I hope, as he settles in, he becomes less laid-back and more spirited. He said to name him Spirit! So. . . I am opening it up to a vote on the above names or a better suggestion. We begin school on Tuesday, so I NEED a name by then! :-0 "

My friends did not disappoint me.  They came up with great names making the decision even more difficult!  They came up with Walkers, Gunter, Levi, Charlie (from Willie Wonka), Toby, Brownie, Mudslide, Murphy's stout.  I replied, "Murphy's Oil Soap or MurphyWalsh.com? LOL NOT!  Bailey doesn't fit any more than Willy. But I did think of Angel today! That is why my lawyer said Spirit."  My BFF suggested, "Toby... For Toblerone?" To which, I wrote, "Aha! A strong possibility!!!!"  "Dutch Chocolate" and "M&M" were more contenders.  Then someone said, "Either Lindor or Toby, short for Toblerone are my two faves!!!"  Then came, "How about CHOCOLATE!!!!  Or CHIPS for short!!!  And "CADBURY.HEINEKIN. BOOGER. Sammy Davis Junior Junior."  LOL  "Cadbury is a cute name ! Cad for short ?"  My DIL suggested, "Barney, Bodie, Kody, Samson (Sam), Copper, Forest, Ruby, Nestle, Hogan, Oscar, Caesar, Duncan, Finnegan (Finn), Brownie. Steve likes Oscar and Duncan the best. Kevin likes Brownie and Duncan the best."  Several were reiterating Toby.  Another new one came up:  Simba - swahili for lion.  Another person mentioned, "Takoba, Arbor and Matteo, " to which I replied, "Those are cool, but not chocolate. ha! Keiko sent me a couple of websites with chocolate names. Toblerone was there, but that is too long. Toby is cute. 
I am TOOOOO picky. . ."  Another friend piped up, "I like Toby! He looks like Toberlone! Yum!"  My realtor suggested liking names ending in "ie" or "y."  She weighed in with, "I guess of the suggestions so far Toby is my favorite. I just think you have to get to know your new baby a little more to know what fits him. Hope to meet him soon."  I agreed: "I like ie or y names + a rhyming second name beginning with W as in Hershey-Wershy; Guinny-Winnie; Toby-Woby, etc."  More names were tossed around:  Ritter, Charlie Brown, Choceur Marzipan Asher, Rolo or Toby, Chocolat, Latte, or Godive if he were a girl.  

A cousin suggested, "I vote for Jamocha, Brownie, Cadbury or what about Bournville where the Cadbury factory is in England (it is also the name of the dark chocolate bar they make)."  And her mother, my aunt, wrote, "If he has been Yukon for while, he may feel attached to that. Quit worrying."  The suggestions continued with, "I've seen a two syllable word ending in a vowel recommended........make sure it doesn't sound dumb if you have to call the animal's name repeatedly........."  All of this had happened in 24 hours!  I then wrote, "OK. I asked him. I said (in baby talk), "Do you want to be Cadbury or Toby or Buster Brown. He rolled over which was to say, 'I don't care what you call me as long as you rub my tummy!' He's just a happy boy. Period."

More ideas rolled in:  Snickers, Cadbury, Almond Joy (my fav), and Hershey, but I have already had a Hershey.  Then I remember my Dad's favorite candy bar -- Clark! We were now on Day Two of suggestions, and I made my decision!  "OK. The jury is IN after final pondering all day. Toby (Toblerone) wins! It has the most votes, and (I think) I like it the best. He is oblivious to it. But he is not responding to Yukon either, although I have barely used it with him. I took him to a neighbor's yard this evening to meet her dog. They both enjoyed having new friend!"

Even after my decision, additional possibilites were raised, "Winston? Theodore (Teddy)...I just got back from DC with Reid's class, so I have presidents on my mind. Met a big black lab in Central Park named "Chunk."  This person later said she once had a Yorkie named Toby!  And my Burlington doggie park friend related she had a female rescue dog (Collie/German Shepherd) named Toby before her current dog.  

Toby definitely had more comments than any other name, and it does suit him.   He seems happy with it, and I am too!  :)  Actually, Toblerone is my son's favorite candy bar, but he never joined in the charade of naming nor has commented on the name.  

No comments: