Saturday, May 24, 2008

Expelled

Guinness and I drove to Michigan on Friday – all the way to my brother’s house on Lake Michigan. We had three huge slow downs due to accidents which stretched our 6 hour drive into an 8 hour one. I used Grant’s new GPS which was wonderful to have – especially on the detours!

As soon as we arrived at their house, I had to start Guinness-proofing it: removing shoes and gloves from his reach, etc. Their little Yorkie, Sam, always has food in his dish. Well, that can’t happen with Guinness around or poor Sam will NEVER eat. I had planned to let Guinness sleep in the kitchen, but Gary thought there was no acceptable way to do that. He thought Guinness would jump the gate, which is possible but doubtful. So they allowed Guinness to sleep in my bedroom.

Saturday morning, Gary informed me that he did not appreciate Guinness’s Guinny-ness. “It is rude to bring an undisciplined dog to someone’s home.” How could I be offended? He is goofy! But we love him just like he is. While Ruth and I walked the glorious beach for over an hour with Guinness, I told her that I would leave Sunday after going to Mark’s farm, instead of Tuesday. The plan for Saturday was predetermined: Jim and Patty were coming for the afternoon. Guinness could, and did, spend his time in the backyard; more specifically – on the deck staring through the door, doing a fair share of barking.

Gary took Jim and Patty for a ride in Queen.

They perused the beach from above while Guinness had a chance to play again (this time with my camera in hand!)



We all (including Guinness) enjoyed the myriad birds in their yard. We determined that one nesting in a bush is a Savannah Sparrow. Several bird houses are full of House Sparrows. Another bird, yet to be determined, is in a smaller bird house. I spied a catbird which I have not seen since Missouri days. Guinness sent several birds airborne as they hopped through the grass.

1 comment:

Esther said...

I'm sure you and Guinny LOVED the beach!! Too bad he's not all grown up quite yet.