Monday, September 14, 2009

Recovery at 16 Weeks

Today was our final post-op check at the vet college. Again, Guinness was very happy when we turned on Route 6. Again, a half hour later and two blocks from the veterinary college, Guinness was dancing his happy dance!

Two German shepherds parked beside us as we arrived and everyone got out of the cars together. Guinness's "I want to get to know you and play" barks sent the Shepherds into "Don't you dare come near us!" barks. I had to have the lemon in my hand and threaten him with it repeatedly to slow down the barking. We entered the waiting room, and it was a challenge to to be heard at the check-in window above his excitement.

We arrived on time, but had to wait an hour before Guinness was ever called. The intern checked his leg, and we conversed a bit about his progress. He informed me that they needed to do more X-rays, and I pleaded that they not over medicate him as they did last time. He told me that overly excited dogs sometimes react more acutely to sedation. An hour and a half later, the intern said that he would be ready in 10 minutes for me to talk to the doctor. 45 minutes later, I was finally called. When we left, we had been there a total of FOUR hours!!!! And I came without a book to read.

Our instructions for now are -- only 5 minutes per day of playing off leash, limited stair useage, and no jumping in and out of the car. He said that going up stairs is easier for him than going down, but it is rather difficult to traverse stairs only in one direction. We left with a clean bill of health!

No comments: