Friday, January 15, 2010

Dangers in the Park

Yesterday, Guinness found a couple of piles of birdseed shells/husks under spruce trees at doggie park. Apparently, some idiot cleaned out their birdfeeders in the park. It was futile to keep him away from the phony treat while off leash, so I reasoned: it will not hurt him; it will all come out in the end.

Late yesterday, he seemed to be gagging, so we ran outside. Nothing happened. In the middle of the night, he was barking in the den. We relented, allowing him to sleep with us so that we could sleep -- never considering that he might be in distress. This morning before daylight, Grant said he pooped everywhere, sometimes diarrhea, and to watch where I step when I go out. Then I remembered the birdseed shells. Oops! We went out again a couple of hours later, and he pooped quite a bit more! I saw that it wasn't diarrhea, but just all those shells coming out as small pieces.

I didn't want to take him to doggie park to eat more, yet how could I ever take him back if it wasn't cleaned up. So I decided to take the pooper scooper, a bucket and garbage bag, a sign asking the culprit to please not do this again, hammer, and nails. I tied him to the baseball field fence and went to work. I found four piles of the stuff and filled my 2-3 gallon bucket. After I hung a sign on the one deciduous tree that had a pile of the stuff under it, now cleaned up, I took a photo. ha!

No comments: