Friday, October 01, 2010

Boring Day for Guinny

Since I drove to NC this time, I decided to stop in the Petersburg, VA area to see the Civil War museums and battlefields where my great great grandfather served the Union. The weather was perfect for leaving him in the car alone while I toured.

The Five Forks Battlefield is fairly remote and definite red neck country, so I was a bit uncomfortable even with Guinness as my guard! But I did feel safe at the Visitor's Center. The Ranger gave me needed information and was very helpful. He told me where to find the field where my great great grandfather's Fifth Corps formed for battle before facing down the Confederates. I found the place, but two barking, unleashed dogs and a staring man did not encourage me to get out of the car. Guinness was on full bark too. Before going deaf, I took a shot from the driver's seat.


The suggested hotel, Candlewood Suites, seemed to be a great distance, so I decided to check one of the chain hotels that might be dog friendly. It was a DIVE!!! Even Guinness didn't like it! While combing my hair in the bathroom before going to find dinner, I saw, in the mirror, a giant cockroach on the wall behind me! After walking through a cobweb upon entering, I decided, that's it, and called the front desk to say I was checking out.

We continued the extended drive to Candlewood Suites, which was very acceptable in every way!

No comments: