Saturday, December 03, 2005

My throat is sore!

Too bad the ice all over his fur is not visible in this picture! Actually, it is visible if you enlarge the picture and take a close look.

Today was our first attempt to walk on the beach. He is so good off leash on our property that I hoped he would be at the beach too. But the distractions were too intense to conquer. As soon as we arrived and I opened the back of the car, he jumped out before I could snap on his leash, and ran to an older woman jogging. There were too many people there on this brisk, sunny morning to allow him to run free. He was tugging and tugging, showing no leash respect. No one was behind us, so I turned and let him go free in that direction. He sailed down the beach until he came to rocks which needed to be circumvented. Instead on going around them, he chose to run into the freezing lake. I was becoming concerned, because he was headed for deep water. I screamed to him; he eventually stood still in the water staring at me, then decided to come, though he was not interested in a treat. The beach was more exciting than a treat! We continued beyond the rocks. He next indiscretion was to leave the beach for the grass where he saw a friendly woman walking. My throat was sore from shrieking, I was out of breath from running, so, after only ten minutes, we headed back to the car. I stood on his leash as I unfolded the ramp. My foot was not heavy enough to counteract his eagerness to meet a man strolling by. Fortunately, he too was not unfriendly to happy puppies.

2 comments:

Esther said...

Aw-w-w...takes me back to the couple times you and I took Hershey for a walk on that beach.

I'm so glad you have Guinness for company today.

Karin said...

Cool picture :) What made him hold still for that?