Friday, October 26, 2007

Not what I would call a pleasant morning!

It ended with a bath.

It started with a nightmare.

I was dreaming about visiting Greg at his house in TX. I noted that the windows of Greg’s truck were smoggy due to the extensive grass fires in the area. As we were talking about the smoke, I spied a flame in the distance moving in our direction. His house stood alone, surrounded by acres of empty land. He wasn’t worried and we went inside. Cathi said, “We will smell the smoke before the fire becomes threatening to us.” She proceeded to prepare a meat casserole, then pulled out some of the kids’ artwork for them to sort through to put away. I thought I should check on the fire and went out the back door to the porch and peeked around the end in the direction of the fire. It was right up to the splitrail fence a few feet from the house. I screamed for everyone to get out of the house and woke up.

It was past time to leave for doggie park. As I hurried to gather our things, Guinness pranced around the driveway, so I called him to come. It is so dark at 7:15 AM these days that it is hard to see. He apparently thought the back of the Lexus was open for him, and crashed into the closed tailgate! Poor boy! Then he was afraid to jump in. I opened a side door, and he leaped in. We were late for play time, and the others had to leave soon to go to work. I usually walk Smartie’s mom part way home to give Guinness more exercise, but, in my rush, I had not picked up his leash.

We drove home, donned the leash, and walked back to doggie park to extend our workout. I had not done sit/stay/recall homework with him in a long time, so we worked on that. Initially, he had forgotten that exercise but caught on again quickly. Then Frank came along. He had slept in this morning and was an hour late for playtime. A man with a German shepherd and a pug came along too. While I stood chatting with Frank, Guinness found something yucky to roll in! Guinness had his leash clipped on him, and we took off for home.

Now it’s time for my nap.

No comments: