Monday, October 22, 2007

Squirrel

There are some signs that Guinness is maturing. One of them is that he can be trusted to jump out of the back of the vehicle and not run away. Today, as Guinness and I drove into our driveway, a black squirrel with a white tipped tail was in the drive several townhouses down from ours, then ran off into the grass. Once we were parked in the garage, as soon as I opened the tailgate, Guinness shot out of the car and ran to find the squirrel. But the squirrel had skunked Guinness.

That squirrel has a history. He was here when we moved in eight years ago! Often, out of the corner of my eye, I would see something black and white running along the top of the fence outside our den window. Thinking skunk, it would catch my attention. It is actually amazing how many times my eyes were diverted by his coloring. I am used to him now and no longer jerk to look when he runs past. Recently, I have thought how sad it will be when I see a dead squirrel with a white tipped tail. I wonder how long a squirrel lives. He has become a familiar crony. One of these days, I will catch a picture of him to lionize him.

No comments: