Saturday, June 13, 2009

Feisty Dog

Guinness is losing his "privileges." I have not been diligent in snapping a leash on Guinness when I let him out of the crate for a meal. For one thing, he races out to his food with no opportunity to get a leash on. In fact, I told his surgeon, right after surgery, that he races to his food about 6 feet away. She said to put his food bowl just outside his crate door. duh... Anyway, yesterday, after gobbling his dinner in two seconds, he turned and raced to the stairs. Racing is a no-no, stairs are a bigger no-no, and I could hear him slipping on the hardwood floor, another huge no-no, in the living room as he was running to return to normal life with access to the house. Now, I will always put the leash on as he devours his food.

The past several days, he has been very interested in a smell beyond our neighbor's bushes. We pass them on the slope leading to where his "potty yard" is, as we have to avoid stairs. As we returned down the slope after our morning bathroom run, he pulled me through the bushes to the area of the wonderful odor. He is way stronger than I! I have not used his pinch collar since surgery, but, we will never leave the house again without it! The white flower petals in my hair gave away his errant behavior to Grant.

1 comment:

MLE said...

What a daily chore!!! It is all complicated by trying to do the right thing for the dog you love and you wish he could do what he wants. What a long ordeal of a summer! Poor Guinness...poor Nina!