Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Stitches Out

Today was the day! But getting Guinness to the vet's office, into the office, and back home was a challenge. My plan:
At home:
Set up the ramp to the SUV.
Take a photo of the sloping stairs beside the house to ask the vet if Guinness can navigate these short, deep stairs now.
Retrieve Guinness from his crate.
Have a potty run.
Attach a second leash.
Guide him up the ramp into the car.
Place the second ramp in the car also.
At the vet's:
Park adjacent to the back door.
Attach one leash to the armrest of the driver's seat to prevent him from leaping out.
Walk into the waiting room to let them know I am there and need help.
Open the back of the SUV (he is tethered so cannot go anywhere).
Set up a ramp over the stairs to the back door of the building, so that we don't have to go through the waiting room where he will be excited by other dogs and people.
Set up a ramp for him to get out of the SUV.
When help arrives, release the leash attached to the driver's seat and two people guide him down the ramp -- one with short leash, one holding his collar -- up the second ramp.
Take him directly to an exam room; meanwhile, leaving the ramps in place and my SUV wide open.

WHEW!!!!
It worked, but what a crazy clown!!!!

I led him onto the scale -- 71 pounds. He has lost 4 pounds since surgery.
As we waited for the vet, he was peeking through the swinging door and pushing it to get into the inner sanctum.

A technician came to take him in the back for suture removal. When the technician brought him back, a new vet accompanied them into the exam room. Guinness was being wild. The vet told the technician to release him, that he could handle him. Of course, he was happy to just be wandering the room. I was not pleased to have a new vet who doesn't know my dog. Besides that, I just did not like the man. He asked ME what I wanted to do about his care. What?! I replied, "I am not in charge of his healthcare; you are!" I asked when he can have his Elizabethan collar removed. He said in a couple of days. He began to speak about him walking around the house when I interrupted and said that he is in the crate 24/7. Walking around the house? What is he thinking?! They have all the information from the surgeon giving her instructions and medications, etc., yet he asked me what medications they gave him. Huh? The only recommendation he gave me was to call if I feel he needs more pain medicine. I had to ask him if he had examined his leg. He had, and his joint is doing well. He asked if I am exercising the joint, and I told him that he does not allow me to play with his leg during the cuddle time while holding the heating pad on his joint. Besides, I don't have enough hands! He asked if someone else in the family could help. Yeah... sure... Maybe on weekends when Grant is home.
It was a most unsatisfactory visit. I don't think he liked Guinness. Or me. The feeling was mutual.
We reversed the arrival plan and exited with minimal difficulty, but I did need the assistance in forcing him to use the ramps instead of vigorously leaping.

No comments: