Thursday, July 16, 2009

Good Boy!

Guinness can do two 40 minute walks a day now, and we can increase that to an hour if *I* feel like it. ha! It is a 15 min. walk to the ballfield where we meet for "doggie park," another 10 min. to walk around the park, and 15 min. home = an even 40 min. This morning, I was a bit slow in getting Guinness out for his walk -- 8:30. I have been told that our group is now meeting at 8:30 instead of between 7:00 and 8:00. So I was worried about Guinness meeting up with his old friends and not being able to keep him from being too crazy on leash. He goes bonkers walking into the therapy building, because they not only do therapy, but boarding, grooming, obedience, etc., so there are always lots of dogs there. If there are any dogs in the play yard next to the parking lot, he nearly drags me to the ground trying to get to the fence. Not good!

We met Holly on the way to the park. He was interested in seeing her, but did not go crazy. Also, Holly's Dad obligingly kept her away from Guinness. At the park we saw Mattie, whom he ignored, and a new Golden, Wilson, was there. They sniffed, but then Wilson and Holly spent the time rolling in the grass while I had adult conversation, with Guinness calmly at my side. :-0 I was quite shocked. He must understand that he cannot play with his friends.

A woman walked by with a little Yorkie. Guinness was more interested in interacting with the little dog than with his friends. He started barking. I pulled out my new plastic lemon and squirted some juice in his mouth.

The therapists taught me that trick, and it works!!! Silence...

No comments: