Thursday, January 04, 2007

Body Language

We picked up Guinness from his 13 days at the pet hotel on Tuesday morning. At this stage in life, I am always a zombie for a day or two after a trip. Guinness is also a zombie his first day home again. He slept at my feet or in his crate all day. I still was not ready for a big walk on Wednesday, though he was. He had to wait for Thursday, when I had a bit more energy and felt more in control of life being put back together again. For a reward, we went to the beach. He was so cute leaping through the water! The other beach walkers enjoyed his show as well.

If we walk to and from home and go to the pier at the far end of the beach, it is an hour and a half walk. I prefer to only spend one hour walking. There are other things to do in a day. So when we were three quarters of the way down the beach, I turned around to head for home. Guinness knows that the beach goes all the way to the pier, and he was not going to miss out on one inch of his beach walk. He jumped at me repeatedly and barked. His body language told me in no uncertain terms, “No way, Mom! We are not going home until we finish our walk!” I had to give in. How could I say, “No”?

Walking the Lake Ontario beach has many similarities to the NC beach we enjoyed over the Christmas holidays. The main difference was the water -- the lake was perfectly smooth today, unlike the roiling ocean. And the birds, except the Ringbilled Gulls, are different. Here we have the Trumpeter Swans, Canada Geese, Mallards, and Longtails. In NC, we had mainly Pelicans and Sandpipers along with two or three species of gulls. And then the dolphins pretend they are birds, leaping out of the water.

When Guinny and I finally were on our way back down the beach towards home, we encountered a 10 year old German Shepherd. He didn’t have Guinness’s energy, but he was happy to meet a friend. The two of them frolicked on the sand, then Copper led Guinness into the lake. That was the first time that I have released the leash and allowed him freedom in the water. I knew he would not run or swim away from Copper. He has not had the opportunity to get out in the lake far enough yet to need to swim. I look forward to that day, but with trepidation! What if he swims away from me too far? I would prefer him to experience that with a dog friend who will bring him back to shore.

1 comment:

Esther said...

Lovely walk!! Makes me want to get back there and experience it with you.