Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Killer

Today was our date for a heartworm test. As you know, Guinness LOVES going to the vet's office. LOVES! This experience would be a good test of any potential 5 year old behavioral changes. When we turned on the street where the office is, he knew where we were going and was dancing. He couldn't wait to get out of the car. He pulled me across the lawn and through the front door as I declared, "Here we are!" There were three owners and three dogs waiting. He wanted/tried to meet them all as I attempted to restrain him. He nearly leapt over the counter to see "his girls." The barking stopped after a few minutes (sign 1), but the energy level remained off the wall. One of the newer assistants thought a treat might calm him down. He appreciated the treat, but that is not a calming activity.

They now have a scale in the waiting room. Two assistants who know Guinness appeared and wanted to weigh him. I guess, they have forgotten! No one can weigh him but me, and usually it has to be in private for him to settle long enough to register a weight. However, today, he sat still on the scale for me with others present (sign 2)! 77.8 pounds.

As our wait lengthened, Guinness relaxed a bit. First he sat (sign 3).

And eventually he even lay down (sign 4)!

When it was finally our turn to go into an exam room, the waiting room erupted in laughter at his eagerness. Again it was a long wait, and again he lay down (sign 5)! When the vet finally appeared, he greeted Guinness with, "It's Killer Guinness!" When I mentioned that I think Guinness's behavior is improving, he said, "He is a 35 year old male! He won't slow down until he retires." He devoured the vet's attention, had his first treatment of Revolution, and we were on our way. Well, we had to pay first, and, since new dogs were now in the waiting room, he was bonkers again, knocking my purse off the edge of the counter, spilling the contents on the desk of the office staff.

As we approached the door, an elderly woman and tiny Yorkie were approaching on the other side. As she started to open the door, I suggested that I hold the door for her while they walked inside, then we exited. I could see a potential disaster with him racing for her dog, knocking her off balance at the top of stairs as she tried to hold a heavy door. As it was, her Yorkie effectively told Guinness off for being Guinness, and the lady slapped the little dog's face for being impolite. Oh, my.... :\ They entered, and we exited.

I would pronounce: definite improvement! Age is not all bad!

1 comment:

Noelle said...

God bless all dog owners. I think this behavior is harder to deal with than similar issues with children! LOL!