Friday, July 02, 2010

Chautauqua Institution - Week One

Saturday, June 26
We began our vacation at Chautauqua Institution with a Jersey Boys concert. What fun! I crooned along with most of the songs!

The 5000 Amphitheater was packed out!

Our friends, Ruth and Con, are here for Week One as well.

We are very pleased with our accommodations for this year. Guinny thinks it is cool too!

Sunday, June 27
Morning Worship at Chautauqua has to be experienced to comprehend its awesome qualities -- the Massey Organ played by a master with all the stops pulled, the 150 voice choir, 5000 congregants singing Holy, Holy, Holy sending chills down your spine, and being a part of the Chautauqua traditions.


Monday, June 28
Today is our 41st anniversary! However, Grant had to go back home to work. We intended to have a celebratory dinner last night, but I was sick most of the day. Grant made me some chicken noodle soup.

With my newspaper-boy absent, I took Guinness with me to Bestor Plaza to buy a "Daily Chautauquan." There was a very long line of people stretched the entire length of the Plaza waiting to obtain a free ticket to the Monday Afternoon Chamber Concert. Several of the ticket hopefuls had quiet dogs lying sedately at their sides -- pictures of the perfect pets. Guinness, being Guinness, was excited to see the dogs. His aim is to meet every dog that comes within his range of vision (or smell, as the case may be). He saw a delightful Golden Retriever. He knew this dog wanted to be his best friend and proceeded to bark at full voice while jumping and tugging at his leash 20 feet away. His wannabe friend stood, but did not bark or pull. As is my norm, I declared, "He is very friendly. He just wants to play." Another person in the line declared in a deep, Billy Goat Gruff voice, "We can see that." I just rolled my eyes. What can one say?

Later Monday morning while walking without Guinness, I encountered an 18 month old, chocolate brown, jack-in-a-box Australian Labra-Doodle. I commented on how cute the dog was, how playful, and that I have a dog who would love to play. I asked if she ever goes to the Doggie Park on the grounds. She replied that no one is ever there, so I asked, "How would you like to meet there tomorrow morning at 9:00?" She accepted our invitation!

Obie and Guinness met promptly at 9 AM the next morning. Soon Baxter appeared followed by two relatives. They had a fabulous playtime and I took many cute pictures with my new iPhone only to lose them when I uploaded them. ??

The next day I took my REAL camera and caught some good shots:



Every day all week an assortment of dogs came to our morning playtime! One day we had eight dogs, and one of them was a small dog. He held his own, as they usually do, though he was slimed from all the big guys drooling over him.


And another fun day with canine friends. One brought a stuffed Elmo. Guinness stole it and would not let anyone else have it. It was quite hysterical! His dodging maneuvers were remarkable.


The theme this week is "Writing Week" with Roger Rosenblatt and Friends. Each morning Roger interviewed one of his author friends. We heard Jim Lehrer, Alice McDermott, Alan Alda, Anne Fadiman, and Marsha Norman.

Roger is on stage with Alan Alda. I stood in line to have Alan autograph his book, and I also had his wife autograph one of her books for Gabe.
Roger is very funny and keeps a lively conversation going. He has a new book out -- "Making Toast." They lost their 38 year old daughter December 8, 2007. He and his wife moved in with their son-in-law to help care for the three children and plan to live there indefinitely. Making toast is his contribution to the family's daily schedule.

Thursday, July 1
I learned this morning that a friend in Chicagoland succumbed to cancer at 3 AM. Even when you expect the news, it is hard to assimilate.

This year, we chose to live off campus, directly across the street in a very nice dog friendly condo, as we could not find an acceptable place on campus which accepts dogs. The closest gate to our condo is for vehicles, but pedestrians can also enter there. I was on my way to buy a "Daily Chautauquan," lost in thought about Peg and praying for her family when I walked past the gatekeeper who also was oblivious to my presence, being occupied with the cars coming in and out. My eyes were gazing unfocused at the ground, seeing nothing with my brain orbiting in space when the black and white gate bar came down on my face and nose crashing me back to reality. Not one of my prouder moments.

Friday, July 2
Friends, Emmett and Carol, came to spend the weekend with us and attend, with me, the two required rehearsals to have the privilege of singing in the Chautauqua Choir. It is an honor to sing in the choir consisting of 150 excellent to professional voices (don't ask why I am in it!) and to be under the direction of Jared Jacobson, an incredible musician and organ master of the Massey Organ.

Emmett is equally as goofy as Guinness and even encourages him. Emmett left his bedroom door open, so guess what happened --

No comments: