Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Why is My Life a 3-Ring Circus?

I am such a ditz! Yesterday, I painstakingly figured out where the veterinary college is, where to park, the route to take from home (since Grant has the GPS with him),etc. Google indicated it would take 45 min. from door to door, so I decided to leave at 8:30 to arrive by 9:30. But my confused brain, upon awaking this morning, interpreted that to be that I needed to BE there at 8:30. I awoke at 6:50, and realized I didn't have time for a shower. I pulled some clothes on, made myself decent, and took off, arriving at 8:15!

Somehow, Guinness knew that this was a vet's office. He was SOOOOO excited to be there! He isn't supposed to be jumping, so I have Hershey's ramp in the car for Guinness to get in and out of our SUV without further strain on his knee. The only way to keep him in the car when I open the back, is to attach the loop of the leash to the driver's armrest. I set up the ramp, unhooked his leash while holding his collar to guide him down the ramp. He was far too excited and jumped with me holding him, almost dragging me to the ground. After retrieving the leash from the armrest, I held him while putting the ramp away.

The next excitement was to enter the waiting room, full of people and animals. Guinness made a grand entrance barking and leaping at the end of the leash. Everyone thinks he is a crazy dog (which he is) and grabs their pets to protect them. At the registration desk, the lady had me sign forms while Guinness danced around jerking me as I tried to write, then she asked for his papers from our vet. I assumed they would take Guinness away while I fetched the vet's packet from the car. I said, "They are in the car. I couldn't bring them in and Guinness." She said she needed them, so I stood there wondering what to do with Guinness. A client, whose dog was being seen, offered to hold his leash. What a nice man! Soon we were ushered into an examination room. At 8:45, someone came in confused about why we were there. I said that Guinness was to have surgery. She checked the schedule and saw that he was on the docket for 9:30! She suggested that I go out for a coffee and return at 9:30.

I had not had breakfast, so that sounded like a good idea. I found a Tim Hortons, but it was only a drive through. I could not eat in the car with a fasting Guinness without giving him a Timbit. I bought a TH coffee, then drove around the corner to a McDonald's. I walked in with my TH coffee and ordered a McMuffin. Just before 9:30, we returned to the clinic, entering the building through a drenching rain. Both of us dripped on the floor while Guinness barked and danced around as we waited to be ushered to an exam room. As I tried to keep him from sniffing every dog we passed, I commented, "He passed Advanced Obedience!" And someone chortled, "I'd like to see that."

A young female doctor came and invited me to be seated. I told her I preferred to drip dry while standing. She explained that they needed more detailed x-rays of the knee for the surgery, thus he would only have x-rays today and the surgery would be tomorrow. I had a choice of waiting for him today or leaving him overnight at an $80 fee. I chose the overnight option. She wanted a brief exam of his knee, asking me to get on the floor with her, hold his two right legs to the ground with my right elbow pressing on his neck to keep his head down while she manipulated his left hind knee. She went into great detail on what has happened to Guinness's knee, how they will repair it, the potential problems, and about his recuperation. He must stay off stairs for EIGHT weeks, only 5 min. walks on level ground, and must remain calm. If we have smooth floors, they need to have carpeting on them to keep him from skidding. We recently removed our carpeting and had hardwood put in! She discovered that imaging could take him immediately, and he would be ready to go home by noon.

Off I went to the corner university coffee shop -- one with nice atmosphere and seating. I bought yogurt, an enticing but tasteless cookie, and a cup of their icky, warm, brown drink. If I had known all the waiting I would do, I would have brought a book, so my Blackberry sufficed as my pastime.

Back at the clinic, I asked when he could have food and water. They said that detailed instructions would be given to me. They called a porter to come. He asked me where my dog was. I said, "I don't know. You're supposed to bring him to me."
He replied, "When you find him, let me know." Can this get any crazier??! The young man at the desk called to him that Guinness was in the back and he was to bring him out.
The man guided groggy Guinness out. He had a tough time walking to the car. Once I had the ramp in place, he refused to go up it. I was not sure what to do. After considering walking all the way back into the building to ask for help, I held his collar, and shepherded him up the ramp. They obviously had manipulated his knee so that it was uncomfortable for him. He had trouble sitting, then going down into a lying position.

At that point, I realized I had no care instructions or discharge papers. Returning to the registration desk, they were very confused. The intern was in surgery, so they found a clinician who advised he could drink, but not eat until 8 PM.

Once we were home, he came down the ramp, had difficulty walking up the short, but deep steps around our house to the front where he was then faced with 3 stone steps to the porch. They were a real obstacle and are going to need a ramp. Our condo townhouse neighbors are not going to enjoy a ramp on our steps all summer. After coming in the house, he disappeared. I looked all over the main level of the house and finally found him on the sofa. I wonder how he managed to get up there!

Then I pulled out throw rugs which I have kept in case they were ever needed (hurray!) and littered our floors with them.

1 comment:

MLE said...

Oh my! What a day and I suspect you are coping with Guiness's health problems today too. I remember quite well the ordeal we all endured when Gracie had surgery on her leg! When Lily was spayed and still at the vet's with many stitches across her belly, she went over a 7 ft chain link fence. Scared the vet half to death! Then with orders to us not to walk her for 48 hours, we left her in the yard (electronic fence) and took Gracie on a 20 minute walk. When we got back to our street, we found her out of our yard with neighbors trying to keep her away from the next very busy, dangerous street. She was not about to be left behind. Vets need to learn to give instructions to the patients, not to the parents of the patients! We'd all be better off!
Good luck!