Friday, September 29, 2006

Annoying Nose

I remember when Hershey was 1 yr. and 5 mos. We lived in San Diego, and I wore Bermuda shorts most days. Hershey followed me everywhere and craved touching me. As I worked in the kitchen, he squeezed himself between the kitchen cabinets and me whenever possible. I remember the sensation of his nose touching my skin and tickling me.

Guinness is 1 yr. and 5 mos. old now. He also wants to be close enough to touch. It isn’t often that he wedges himself between me and kitchen cabinets, although, this morning, he plopped himself on the floor in front of the cabinets where I was working. I managed to step on his tail and again on his paw before he decided it would be safer to move. However, his nose… His nose drives me nuts! It is not pleasurable. He has a nose fixation! We had to clean windows occasionally from Hershey’s nose prints, but not daily. Guinness seems to think his nose must touch everything! And it is cold and wet. He leaves nose prints on the car windows, in particular. They are always a mess. While traveling in the car, he finds it necessary to walk back and forth across the back seat. At each turn, he must bang his nose into the back of heads. When I am wearing shorts, his nose is touching my skin whether I am walking around the house or sitting at my computer. There is no titillating tingle. It is downright irritating! I know that sight and hearing are the principle senses for humans, and smell is the prime sense for a canine. Smelling is one thing, but nose touching is something else… If only there were some way to cap his nose.

No comments: